The trials and tribulations of a new mom are always easier to handle and understand in hindsight. But the first time you go through them every experience is heightened and a huge deal... You later realize the wonderful and necessary presence of humor.
Last week Pat was miserable. He wouldn't eat much, always fussed, would only be happy in Mike's arms and had a runny nose. (Sounds like a typical 1 1/2 year old, I know, but I assure you he was sick.) His high fever for 3 days let me know that the poor guy was sick. Tylenol didn't bring the fever down and I was getting worried. When the fever finally did broke after 3 long days and nights he broke out with a mysterious splotchy rash all over his stomach. (All seasoned moms already know what I am describing.)
I called my doctor's office who is usually excellent at answering questions and being available, but this week they were swamped so I had to leave a message..... and then I had another question so I called again and left another message.... The fever had broken, his mood was lifting, he was eating more, what the HECK is this rash and is it contagious? What about Thanksgiving? Will he get his cousins sick? Do we need to stay home?
Well, a nurse finally called me back but I couldn't find the phone fast enough. It was buried under the pillows and covers of my bed so as to drown out the sound of the ringer during nap time. (I still can't figure out how to silence the ringer on my handset!) So she left a message. Your son Patrick has Roseola. For a new mom Roseola sounds like Bubonic. (They kind of rhyme at first listen...really.)
And that was it. Well I call back immediately to ask her if it is contagious and I am told the nurse is busy and I have to leave another message... "But she just called me like 30 seconds ago... I have only one question... it will take 2 seconds..." No luck. I was transfered to voice mail which is tantamount to having to pick another number at the deli counter when you realize that you forgot to order the cheese with the ham. You were first number 12 with the ham and now that you have to pick again you are number 32. Grr.
So I leave a message for her to call my cell.
I decided to tackle other errands (getting a pair of 'mom shoes' that are comfortable but not too momish) and I go to DSW with 3 1/2 month old Nate. I am on a mission to find a shoe that I am pretty sure they carry. That is why I don't mind running the sure fire errand with Nate lugging his seemingly 80 lb car seat through out DSW looking for Sperry topsiders. I ask the shoe clerk... do you carry topsiders? *Topsiders??? What are those?
**You know, boat shoes.
*Boat shoes?
**Never mind! (That is a whole other story... a shoe person not knowing shoes...)
Then my cell rings... its the doctor's office! But I am in the MIDDLE of DSW's shoe floor carrying a moose of a child. I can't get out of the store in time so I have to answer....
Then I became THAT mom...
Talking, desperately trying to speak softly but cursed with an Irish Whisper I am clearly broadcasting my problem to all of DSW...
YES... IT IS A SPLOTCHY RASH... YES IT IS ALL OVER HIS STOMACH AND SPREADING TO HIS ARMS AND LEGS.
WILL IT BECOME ITCHY?
IS IT CONTAGIOUS?
WILL IT CONTINUE TO SPREAD AND GET HIS COUSINS SICK?
People did look... and move back. Some gasped and covered their mouths. Some little girl pointed and screamed... (no, but that is what I felt like should happen.) I did feel horrible... but not really because I finally got a hold of them and she gave me nothing but good news.
For all you moms who haven't dealt with Roseola: It is a rash that appears after a fever breaks in infants/toddlers. It is the body's way of exhibiting that it had just fought a fever using all the anti-bodies from the white blood cells. It is normal, not contagious and goes away on its own.
He was fine and we had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Whew!
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ellen, Thanks for passing along the information. It is always helpful to have an idea of what might come along with little ones for us new moms.
Glad to hear Pat is better...and your story was hilarious.
you are a riot! Did you find your shoes?
Simon would still chase Pat- contagious rash or no!
heehee "moose of a child" poor nate he is just big boned. good to know about the rash though.
Post a Comment