Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Importance of Toes......


It is cold outside. Cold outside means winter is coming soon. I don't like that concept at all. If I continue not to wear a jacket outside long enough do you think I can convince Mother Nature to change her mind? Every year I am determined for it NOT to get cold, but every year it does.

My least favorite side effect of winter is the shoes...and socks that I have to wear on my feet. Socks are such a commitment. But since this is my second winter being a mom I am resigning to the fact that I should be responsible and wear shoes... and I guess occasionally socks. Shoes and socks mean covering up my toes.... so I have decided to say good buy to pedicures for the winter... which makes me like winter even less. Shoes shorten the life of my pedicures...

I LOVE getting pedicures... I love having my feet rubbed and toes painted pretty colors. Upon each return from Rex Day Spa Pat would -without fail- try to grab my feet and stick his mouth on my toes. I guess they do look like lollipops all happy summer, spring and fall long.... but now that we are entering winter... the last bit of the last coat of "How Aloha Can You Go" pink nail polish is chipping away. I mourn each chip that comes off each time.

I came late onto the pedicure scene. I didn't get my first one until AFTER college, if you can believe that. Before getting one I always thought of them as wicked high maintenance... oh how naive and wrong I was! I vividly remember my first pedicure experience. Chrissy White (then Purk) and Katie Carney (then Gabriel) took me. I was nervous... having someone else scrub my feet while I just sat there initially was a little awkward.... but I QUICKLY got over that. Since then I have gone religiously ever 4 weeks.

Paint my own toe nails this winter you say.... No I say. I can't do it as good as they can. I don't have hot steamed towels waiting to be draped over my massaged and lotioned legs... I don't have freshly cut limes in bubbling water ready for me at home. They do at Rex. I love Rex.

So, it just hit me. I am not going to stop this winter... if anything, I need it more now! Pedicure time is sacred me time... it is when I slip out sans boys and go on a mini vacation and come back ready for everything. Some how tantrums aren't as loud as when I have a fresh coat of some pretty pink on my toes.

Rex, I will see you this winter after all!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Awww. I remember taking you to your first pedicure. It does seem decadent but I can't paint my toes well at all (left handed and all). And you are right, especially now that we are mommies it is soooo nice to be able leave for 40 minutes and have some one pamper YOU once a month. I think they should give discounts or at least champaign to moms who come in for pedicures. And you are so lucky to have Rex so close to you...its the best. Call me...I'll so a winter pedicure day with you.

Maria said...

Pedicures are awesome! I loved them even when my ankles and feet were swollen while I was pregnant! And I'm with you, winter pedis are a great escape! :)

Anonymous said...

Where's Rex? I wanna go too...

Mary