Friday, November 02, 2007

Profile of the Month: Meet January Donovan

January has been married just a little over a year to her husband Ryan Donovan. They live in Germantown, MD with their 3 1/2 month old son Jack.
******
What I do:
I worked in Capitol Hill for a Congressman for 3 years before becoming a Real Estate Agent with Long and Foster Real Estate (ironically, where I met my husband). I loved working in Capitol Hill but somehow I realized that I needed to find a job that was conducive to
motherhood and working there did not quite fit the profile so I decided to go into Real Estate.

(January's website has been added to the Market Place Section on the right hand side of the blog. Check it out!)

Hobbies:
I love cooking/hosting/ and making a meal for friends (having people over is a big part of the Filipino culture growing up), I get really excited about the whole process.
I love traveling and exploring (my poor son is now forced into this hobby...until he can speak his mind). I love learning
about culture and the different ways people live....it is fascinating to me.
I actually like to clean (its a stress reliever for me, I know it sounds funny). On the other hand, I do get stressed when it is not clean and I have a 3 month old so I need to learn not let it get to me b/c I'm sure it is
only the beginning. I would sometimes go to my friends house and organize their closet, it was both a stress relief for them and me...I know its silly but I like it.
I love quality tea dates with a girlfriend...I think that it is sad that the value of friendship is not emphasized in our culture b/c I think we could all use it. I like walking out of a conversation knowing I've learning something and have become a better person from it.

I come from a musical family and didn't do much of sport watching aside from the occasional Redskins but since being married, I've watched all 4 golf majors, world series, post season baseball, March Madness and the Super Bowl ...and all football games in between. I think next to my marriage contract there was a little caveat that said, "watch sporting events with husband".
I love homes and even though it is my job, I actually look at homes in my spare time. I think that a home says
so much about our lives and it is not just having a house but building a home with a purpose. I love to decorate
and do fun stuff with a creative budget:-)
I love to dance..I also come from a dancing family. My grandfather taught me the Cha-cha and jitter bug, my dad and I do the waltz, salsa and swing--this is probably my second favorite hobby, if not the first. My husband is also a great dancer so now we really enjoy a good dance.
I like to read books that help me become a better person.
Friday date nights: My husband and I have been pretty religious about Friday date nights which I look forward to every week. Because we are pretty busy every weekend, we keep our Fridays sacred unless we absolutely need to move it to a different day.
I am petrified of squirrels...and that bothers me but I can't help it...its a silly fear that I really need to get over.

*****

3 comments:

Ellen Connolly said...

January,
You are hysterical.
I can totally relate to you abt the sports stuff. I can tell you the Red Sox batting line up and have seen more football games in the past 2 years than I have seen in my life!

Jack is a cutie.

AND I hate squirrels, too! They are rats with big bushy tails.

Ann Vitz said...

Nice to meet you, January! "Quality tea dates with a girlfriend" are so important! For me, tea is a state of mind! I really look forward to seeing you again next month!

Oh- and Jack is super adorable! Congratulations!

Elena Kilner said...

Kudos to you January, for sticking to date nights! My husband's also in real estate, so I know how crazy it can get. Of course I think scheduling together time for any couple with kids is really critical.

Ellen--awesome idea to have a monthly profile---you are briliant!!!