Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What is a Good Going Rate for a Babysitter?

I know there are so many things to take into account when trying to figure this out, but what is standard?
I used to pay a senior in high school who drove to my house $10 bucks an hour, which I have now gotten the impression that this was high. (My 2 kids would already be asleep.) I used to get 10 an hour 10 years ago when I baby sat. I was happy that the hourly wage didn't go up with inflation!

I now have a 7th grader who lives a block away that will be my regular babysitter, or at least I am hoping. I was thinking about $7 an hour. Is this fair? Too high? Too low? What do most people pay these days?

2 comments:

Celina said...

I'm no expert, but I've been paying $10/hr. Sometimes if the kids are asleep the whole time or most of the time I might pay a babysitter closer to $8/hr...but only if they haven't specified what they charge an hour. I usually only use high school juniors and seniors or if I'm lucky a college freshman.

Probably the best way to handle it is to tell her what you are willing to pay under what circumstances and she if she accepts.

Lori McGovern said...

I usually pay $8 or $10 an hour as well. I have a neighbor who is only 13 who watched the girls in a pinch, but usually prefers one to be asleep. I agree that asking and letting her know up front is probably the best strategy.