Sunday, November 18, 2007

What's Cookin'?


I bet we are all going to be busy getting ready for dinner on Turkey Day. I am looking for a good mashed sweet potatoes recipe. The Royals were never sweet potato people, but I recently had some at Outback and fell in love and I am trying to see if I can make the Connollys become sweet potato people. I don't want a recipe with marshmallows. Any good recipes floating out there??? They don't just have to be about sweet potatoes.

And...

Does anyone else get Martha Stewart's mag Everyday Food? 2 issues back they had a pumpkin cookie recipe... Ann made it for the Nov Mom's meeting. After having them then I couldn't get them out of my mind. I made them myself, too. So good, so easy and so perfect for now!
Neither Ann nor I glazed them with chocolate and they were still good. Ann had a good idea of drizzling a cream cheese frosting on them... Umm yeah.... so delish.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I make pumpkin cookies, and sometimes put white chocolate chips in them...really yummy!

Ellen, try making mashed sweet potatoes exactly how you would make reg mashed potatoes...just not as much milk. Same amt of butter and salt. They are awesome!

Ann Vitz said...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/sidedishcasseroles/r/bl90911u.htm

check out that yummy recipe

Alissa said...

Ellen- do you want just a mashed recipe or a casserole-y recipe? Our family has a sweet (and by sweet, I mean awesome "sweet" and "sweet" like sugar) recipe that has pecans and brown sugar on top. It pretty much rocks my socks off.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Potatoes Supreme

4 c. mashed sweet potatoes
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. milk
3 T. butter, melted
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt

Mix together in a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Spread evenly in a 9x13 baking dish.

For topping

3 T. softened butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. dried flake coconut
1 c. chopped pecans
1/3 c. flour

Mix together thoroughly and spread evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake in a 350 oven for 35 minutes.

Ellen Connolly said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds good, Alissa. I will def give it a try.

I will try both... yours and Jen's. I will have a mini iron chef cook-off in my kitchen. Secret Ingredient: sweet potato.

Celina said...

It might too late...but I have the most AMAZING and unexpected sweet potato dish. It is really beautiful too. I got the recipe out of Bon Appetite and we had it last year for Thanksgiving...but it was such a success we're making it again this year. check it out: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/236482

Lori McGovern said...

I know it is way after Thanksgiving, but sweet potatoes are actually really healthy and I try to feed them to my family year round (often in place of the white varieties.) Our favorite- and SIMPLE- recipe goes something like this (adjust to taste).

Slice 3-4 med. sweet potatoes so they are in even thickness discs. Spread evenly in one layer over a cookie sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil (or brush on oil with a pastry brush for more even cover) and then sprinkle with dried rosemary. I use LOTS of rosemary because it is one of my favorite spices. Roast for 35-40 mins. (or until tender).
My husband loves this- and he is an Irish white potato lover! I hope you succeed in making the Connollys sweet potato people!