Anyone have any tips on the subject of potty training? ...any books, videos, methods, etc? I am beginning my research and so far I have nothing... All thoughts welcome!
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
6 comments:
I have no experience yet but am planning on starting Joey in the summer--when most of his accidents will be OUTSIDE! I know my sister used some "Potty Power" videos and books to get the topic on her boys' radar screen...
I don't have any experience potty training a boy :), but for Grace (3.5) I just started making the potty seat available when she showed interest, around 22 months or so. We just kept it very casual for awhile, but when it came time to really get to it, I set aside about 5 days to sort of stick around at home. By the end of that time she had many fewer accidents so being out and about was easier to manage. During the "at home" time, I would set the timer and have her go sit on the potty whenever it went off. We started with 10 - 20 minute intervals and increased up to about an hour.
Also, a friend gave me a GREAT thing, a waterproof pad for the carseat (made by kidopotomus, I think) so that accidents in the car were much easier to deal with. Just wash the pad instead of the whole car seat cover every time!
Good luck!
My story with Noah is long - but it was succesful. We started reading stories (he still loves The Potty Book for Boys) about using the potty. Then we progressed in stages. 1.)Using the potty whenever he asked 2.)Using the potty after meals 3.)No more diapers - only pull-ups and finally 4.)No pull-ups. That's the very concise outline. Call me and I'll fill you in on the details.
FUN!
Hi Ellen! I started potty training my boys over the summer. I dreaded it like a disease but it wasn't too bad in the end. They were about 2.5. We started with watching the "Potty Power" movie frequently and reading some random potty books but without any additional action. They loved it and it definitely peaked their interest. Then we basically followed the same scheme as Celina-- potty chairs occassionally or whenever they asked, then gradually worked our way into underwear. It was MUCH easier with Brian. He hated being wet and after a few false starts (where I would temporarily "shelve" the project for a couple weeks)--he started going potty really well. Collin happily sat in his wet/dirty underwear without a care in the world so I stopped trying with him...and then about 3-4 months later he started showing interest and basically potty-trained himself quickly with just a few accidents. SO, I guess my advice is--be prepared for a few false starts, if they aren't interested try again a while later, and always stay calm and "happy" when they have accidents or they'll be scared to try again! (P.s. Not to be a total downer, but you might not have much success til he is 2/2.5 and be prepared to have it take til almost age 3. Brian was probably 2y9m by the time he was in 100% daytime undies and Collin was about 2y11m. Boys can take a while!) Good luck! Claire
P.S. One more thought--we definitely used incentives like M&M's--I know a lot of people who have found that helped.
thanks for all the advice... I am in the collecting info phase.... i like the m&m's idea... for me esp!
Post a Comment