Thursday, October 09, 2008

A Day In the Life of a Potty Trainer

Since life was getting far to routine with a 3 year old, 19 month old and 6 week old, I decided to shake things up, take the plunge and put Joey in underpants yesterday -- full steam ahead, no looking back....here's a snapshot of what is has looked like so far:

6:30 am Roll up the living room carpet and store it in the basement until further notice.

Tally of the days progress - went through about 5 pairs of training pants before 10 am (I found the training pants to be an important tool for Joey's awareness of when he had gone).

Major failure - Going #2 - it's really not fun to clean.

Major success - Going #1 about 8 times in the potty by the end of the day and the last two times standing "like daddy". ( I really was pumping liquid in him all day long--he was constantly going)

Day 2: No successes yet as of 9:30 am, 2 accidents, one of which is #2. Refusal to drink is not helping.

Particular challenges: Keeping trainee off of the upholstered furniture, stopping Liam from stealing potty chair from trainee mid-stream.

If you have a prayer handy--feel free to send it my way!

5 comments:

Ann Vitz said...

Elena-
I am going through Potty Training right now with Simon too! (Well, we are taking a brief break as he finishes up his battle with the stomach flu).

Prayers! Prayers! Prayers!

Zana said...

I'm thinking of trying to train Addy, almost 2, before our new baby comes in Feb (but I'm afraid it won't be enough time and she'll just regress then). I need to follow your example and plunge in. Do you use pull-up training pants or do you mean the thicker underpants that can absorb a little? Good luck!

Elena Kilner said...

ok - today was a nightmare - absolute opposite of yesterday - refusal to cooperate, dispite bribes of treats etc...not sure what approach to take next, I had been using the thicker underpants but they seemed to do the trick yesterday but he didn't acknowledge a single accident today until I pointed it out, and even then didn't seem to care....FRUSTRATION!!!! I think I'm going to do pull-ups next so that my house isn't destroyed.

Celina said...

My advice is to stick with it. Having now trained 2 boys, I also would say that MAJOR signs of approval after successes(I'm talking over the top praise, singing, dancing, and treats for EVERYONE - get everyone in on it, they can call daddy/grandma/auntie/neighbor, brother, etc.etc.) and little to no attention to the child for accidents. During clean-up basically the only communication was "Oh, man, pee-pee or poo-poo go in the potty" over and over and over again. The child is involved in the clean-up - make it long and drawn out, lots of steps; clean-up includes taking off their own dirty undies themselves (which is HARD for little kids) and finding clean underwear/putting them on and taking the dirty ones to the laundry. I didn't get mad or belittle during that process even though it was excrutiatingly long and felt longer with each accident, but I think making them do the work makes them realize in a tangible way that its a lot more work to have an accident than it is to stop what they're doing and use the potty.

Don't get discouraged!! Its a process!! Ian still has an occasional accident, but I consider him potty trained.

Good Luck!! Remember: Fortitude!!

Elena Kilner said...

My little trainee fell asleep at a little after 6 pm last night and didn't wake up till this morning and is now running a fever of 101.7--I'm hoping this is why he was so disagreeable yesterday and will revisit this when he is better - he is too lethargic today to instill enough enthusiasm/motivation for anything I think. Good timing mom--note to self, don't potty train the week the boys get thier flue shots in the future (Liam had a fever of 102 earlier in the week--I think they actually got the flue from thier vaccine.)