Any suggestions?
I am trying to transition Stella (16 months) off of her bottles and onto sippy cups. I have purchased every sippy cup made and still have no luck. She will drink water from the cups but not milk. (I think her bottles are her soothing mechanism even though she does not take them to bed with her.)
Also, when she has her bottles, she sits and drinks it in one sitting.... but with a sippy cup I imagine she will carry it around... so how long do you let her go without worrying about the milk going bad?
Thanks for any advice you can give me :)
Sharon
--
3 comments:
I had a hard time getting Lucy to take a sippy cup until I found one with a straw. She loved it and than easily moved onto the regular kind.
I'm fairly lazy when it comes to sippy cups laying around with milk in them. My rule of thumb, if the milk is from the morning, and it's the afternoon now...new milk time. I dunno maybe I'm going to regret that one day but kids know when milk taste funky and tend not to drink it. Or at least my kid does.
Because she has her bottles all in one sitting- maybe you can make a big "to do" about sippy cup milk time- sit her in her high chair and present the sippy cup to her with a big "tada" and see if she then finishes it all in one sitting...that may also prevent the milk from staying around too long in the sippy cup?
Simon never took to sippy cups- so I tried a glass and after a few spilly sessions he mastered the glass...but that meant that he only got his milk at meal time-- and water was ok, I would leave a glass in reaching distance for him during the day and yes, sometimes he would spill it- or have his animals go for a swim, but it has worked for us overall.
Now that I am toilet training I only give him water upon request so he isn't constantly tanking up and therefore peeing all over the place!
Good luck!
Yeah- good luck Sharon... transitions are never an easy time.
I went the same route Ann took. At 12 months I disappeared the bottle. Sippy cup is only for in the car or out on stroller rides..when we are on the go, just like when an adult would use a water bottle. Other than that it is a cup at the table. Nate never took a sippy cup. Like Ann, there were and still are spills...but such is life. Milk is only served at meal time.
As far as sippy cups, I followed the same rule I had for the bottle. I only own 3. THat way I forced myself to clean after each use so as not to happen upon a long lost bottle full of cheese. Keeping the supply number way down helped.
Post a Comment