Tips from Elizabeth Hatch:
As far as the natural cleaning goes I am pretty basic as I just haven't had enough time to do all of the research. But I can say I have been very happy with the changes I have made thus far.
I basically use white distilled vinegar and baking soda for most of my cleaning as they are the easiest to acquire. A few books have recommended using natural liquid soap such as Bronner's Natural liquid soap but I haven't found that yet (it may be at Trader Joe's and definitely online).
I dilute 1/2 c. white vinegar to about a gallon of hot water to wash my kitchen and bathroom floors. I put just a drop of lavender or peppermint oil in the water to give it a fresh scent.
That does a pretty good job of getting rid of the vinegar smell. I also remembered reading somewhere that once it dries it doesn't smell. I just have to make sure the bathroom is well ventilated.
As far as the bathroom goes. You can use a combination of white vinegar/lavendar in a spray bottle ( I am not sure if it should be straight or diluted) I don't ususally dilute? to wipe down the toilet, tub and sink. It is especially good on shower scum.
I also use baking soda for the scouring effect. Same is true for touch grease on boiler pans or on the stove grease stains.
Baking soda in the bottom of the diaper pail helps to absorb bad smells. If you still find it smells rinse and dry with hot water and white vinegar.
I also use a phosphate free dishwasher soap from Trader Joe's and a phosphate free, biodegradeable laundry detergent called Country Save from Amazon. It is pretty cheap and I order a large quantity so I don't pay shipping.
The following is a book I borrowed from the library to get alot of this information if anyone wants to reference it.
Naturally Clean: The Seventh Generation Guide to Safe & Healthy, Non-Toxic Cleaning by Jeffrey Hollender and Geoff Davis (New Society Publishers, 2006, $15.95)
Your sister Ann also gave me some tips as you well know from Organic Housekeeping? I have yet to get that one though.
Hope this helps.
Take care,
Elizabeth
As far as the natural cleaning goes I am pretty basic as I just haven't had enough time to do all of the research. But I can say I have been very happy with the changes I have made thus far.
I basically use white distilled vinegar and baking soda for most of my cleaning as they are the easiest to acquire. A few books have recommended using natural liquid soap such as Bronner's Natural liquid soap but I haven't found that yet (it may be at Trader Joe's and definitely online).
I dilute 1/2 c. white vinegar to about a gallon of hot water to wash my kitchen and bathroom floors. I put just a drop of lavender or peppermint oil in the water to give it a fresh scent.
That does a pretty good job of getting rid of the vinegar smell. I also remembered reading somewhere that once it dries it doesn't smell. I just have to make sure the bathroom is well ventilated.
As far as the bathroom goes. You can use a combination of white vinegar/lavendar in a spray bottle ( I am not sure if it should be straight or diluted) I don't ususally dilute? to wipe down the toilet, tub and sink. It is especially good on shower scum.
I also use baking soda for the scouring effect. Same is true for touch grease on boiler pans or on the stove grease stains.
Baking soda in the bottom of the diaper pail helps to absorb bad smells. If you still find it smells rinse and dry with hot water and white vinegar.
I also use a phosphate free dishwasher soap from Trader Joe's and a phosphate free, biodegradeable laundry detergent called Country Save from Amazon. It is pretty cheap and I order a large quantity so I don't pay shipping.
The following is a book I borrowed from the library to get alot of this information if anyone wants to reference it.
Naturally Clean: The Seventh Generation Guide to Safe & Healthy, Non-Toxic Cleaning by Jeffrey Hollender and Geoff Davis (New Society Publishers, 2006, $15.95)
Your sister Ann also gave me some tips as you well know from Organic Housekeeping? I have yet to get that one though.
Hope this helps.
Take care,
Elizabeth
1 comment:
Elizabeth-
I was thinking of you as I used my white vinegar to clean the bathroom today- and tada, happy to see your recommendations for diluting online!
Thanks!
Post a Comment