Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This Week's Veggie Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

From the kitchen of Katie Carney

this is inspired by a Ina Garten recipe but I changed some it to fit my pantry and it turned out deliciously.

3-4 lbs of butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (I used 2 medium sized butternut squashes)
2 yellow onions (I used 1 big one) chopped into chunks
2 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored & cut into chunks (I used Gala apples...you want a medium sweet apple..don't use Granny Smith, too tart)
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper

4 cups of chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon of curry powder (I did not do this because I wanted to be able to feed Charlie the soup so below is what I did)

Katie's Alternative "Curry Powder":

2 teaspoon of cumin
2 teaspoon of cardamom
2 teaspoon of coriander
1 tablespoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of cayenne

Use 1/2 teaspoon of above mixture instead of curry powder.



Put your chopped squash, apples & onions in a bowl toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread mixture onto a sheet pan and roast in oven for about 30 minutes. In the meantime simmer chicken stock.

When veggies are done, place in batches into food processor with a little chicken stock and coarsely puree. Mix puree and remaining chicken stock. Add chicken stock into the pot slowly until you get the thickness of soup that you like. I ended up using all 4 cups and it was still a thick soup. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder or alternative spice mixture. Salt & Pepper to taste.

If you want to get fancy here is the suggested "topping" Ina suggests:

scallions
toasted coconut flakes
roasted cashews, choops
diced banana


4 comments:

Ellen Connolly said...

this looks great, Katie! To make it 100% veggie for lent, do you think you could substitute a vegetable broth for the chicken broth? Awesome photos!

Katie said...

absolutely!

South Paw said...

looks good-thanks

Ann Vitz said...

Adding a good dose of roasted cashews (or I can imagine toasted pecans or walnuts) would add a nice texture to the creamy dish and a good helping of protein to make it a nice hearty main.

Looks delish!