Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Meet Sharon Humphries


(photo by Katie Carney)
Everyone has a story... here is a part of mine.....
I was born in Washington DC and spent the first 3 months of my life in an orphanage (St. Ann's Infant Home in Hyattstown, MD). I was adopted by my wonderful, loving, extraordinary parents and grew up with a sister and brother in Silver Spring, MD. I spent 5 years in a french elementary school and speak french fluently because of that. Then I moved onto Oakcrest, followed by 2 years at Salisbury State University and 2 1/2 years at the University of Maryland.
At 18, I met my birth mother and at 26 met my birth father and have a wonderful relationship with both.
Just as I was ready to move out on my own, my father's cancer returned and I decided to stay at home to help out. He died the next year and I am forever grateful for all the extra time I got to spend with him. This experience has forever shaped my life.
I met my husband in 9th grade but we didn't date until college and have been together now 11 years! Whoa! That is crazy now that I think about it. We got married and moved to Germantown, MD. We love our neighborhood and spending time outside with neighbors.
After getting married, I discovered some health issues that would impact having children and thus began a new chapter in my life ... battling infertility and managing a high risk pregnancy and dealing with 3 1/2 months of bed rest. But as of today that is the past and we are blessed with a wonderful daughter. The most wonderfully perfect daughter in the world, in my humble opinion :)
My life is not what I imagined it would be, both good and bad, but I have grown so much more because it wasn't. I am truly blessed with who and what I have in my life today.
Husband: Nicholas
Kids: Stella (22 months)
where you live: Germantown, MD
Hobbies: Playing with my daughter, traveling, blogging, reading (including celebrity gossip); gardening; shopping
Profession: Wife and Mother, Auditor for GSA's Office of the Inspector General

Fill in the blanks:

childhood ambition: mom, killer whale trainer

fondest memory: being on my farm with my family

soundtrack: it is a mix of all kinds of music

retreat: my farm, this is my second home and the most relaxing place in the world to me ; and the television (a place where I can think about another person's made up life or in the case of TLC, real life)

proudest moment: One day when I was upset, Stella was nearby playing and saw me and immediately came over and wiped the tears from my eyes and kissed me on the cheek. It was at that moment that I realized I must be doing something right as a parent. My daughter at only 1 1/2 understood and expressed such love and compassion to another person .... it made me cry more :)

biggest challenges: watching my Dad loose his battle with caner and having to say good-bye and my long battle with fertility

alarm clock: weekdays: 5:35 am (my cell phone); weekends 8:00am (Stella)

perfect day: spending the day with my loving family and good friends

first job: bus-girl at Mrs. K's Toll House

indulgence: Cinnabon (I haven't had one in years but they are sooo darn tasty!!)

last purchase: bottled water

favorite movie: It's hard to narrow down but Gone with the Wind, Notting Hill, Walk the Line, Once

inspiration: it has varied through-out my life but right now it is strong women who seem to have their act together.... I strive to be as organized, up-beat and calm as they are

My life (finish the sentence): is a long and winding road but it has just begun and I can't wait to see what is in store for me in the years to come.

4 comments:

Sharon Humphries said...

The photo is a Katie Carney production :)

Lori McGovern said...

What a beautiful story- thank you for sharing!

LKBeglis said...

Awwww, that Stella is such a cute little girl!

Ann Vitz said...

Beautiful!