
Penny is going to be scheduled for surgery to get ear tubes and a possible adenoidectomy. Ear tube surgery is pretty common, so i am not concerned about that one. I had a good talk with Lori, who assured me of its awesomeness. I have a few questions about the adenoidectomy. Have any of you had a kids who has had one. There is a bit of differing opinion in the medical world about this. Adenoids, which are next to the tonsils, are what little kids have to fight bacteria infections in the ear, nose and throat. However, they can get overly swollen and cause chronic congestion and thus constant fluid in the middle ear. For kids with chronic congestion due to swollen adenoids, it is recommended that they be removed. Adenoids disappear as the child gets older, so they are not a needed organ in the long term. It is a more 'invasive' surgery than just the ear tubes, and some studies find that the short term effects of the surgery are not worth it in the long run. Have any of your kids had an adenoidectomy? What can you tell me about it? Penny is 8 months now and will be scheduled in the next month for surgery.
4 comments:
I had ear tubes and adenoids out as a baby--my mom couldn't remember much of the details though---I was a kid with lots of ear infections....Lori just had tubes put in Brendan's ears...not sure about the adenoids.
I, too, am not sure about adenoids, but I do have a question about ear infections: my 8 month old has had 3 since birth-- how many did Penny have before tubes were recommended?
Penny amazingly never has had an ear infection, but she has had about 7 straight months fluid in her ears. Ear infections, as you know, are a result of the fluid that has been sitting in the ear that gets infected. With each ear infection you can assume about a month of fluid per infection. Docs usually recommend ear tubes for a kid with 4 infections bc that liberally translates to about 4 months of fluid in the ear. Fluid in the ear results in hearing as if underwater...this potentially effecting speech. The ear infection is a symptom if fluid collecting...to get rid of ear infections mean you have to get rid of the causing problem...the collecting fluid. Kids' eustation tubes lay flat, thus difficult drainage. Inflamed adenoids can also block the drainage more.
Ahh ok. My pediatrician said the same (4 infections makes a candidate for tubes)- I was curious if others' pediatricians gave the same advice. I don't think Teresa's had fluid every check-up, though if she gets an ear infection again anytime soon we may be facing tubes sounds like. Thanks for the info! Hope Penny's surgery is smooth, poor baby!
Post a Comment