Friday, August 14, 2009

A good vacuum is to sanity as crumbs on the floor is to the story of my life


I don't have a good vacuum cleaner and I need one. I need one like a fish needs water and a spent toddler needs a nap. I want one. I want one like an alcoholic wants a drink and a spent toddler wants a tantrum. When I got married, I knew nothing about vacuums. I figured that they were one and the same and why would 2 tidy people need to spend more than $89.99 on a vacuum. So, I bought a shark vacuum that has been taking Great White sized bites at my homemaking soul every time I use it. It is the worst appliance that I own. Not only does it suck...and not in the way a vacuum should, but it requires me to replace a $20 filter every 6 uses. And every 6 uses happens very frequently. I HATE MY VACUUM. I now have 3 kids and between cheerios that fall like hail in a blizzard and blue berry muffins that act like exploding shrapnel, I am in the market for something to aide me in my quest for clean.

Aside from the irobot, do you have any good suggestions for vacuums? I have mainly hard wood floors and have area rugs. I still have my dust buster for quick cleans...an appliance that I will be buried with because I love it so much. I just read this review for a Dyson. It seems pretty convincing. Any other ideas?

9 comments:

Grace G. McNicholas said...

I have a Dyson and love it. The family I work for have a 50 year old Electrolux Diplomat which is an amazing piece of machinery! The family also has a Oreck which can hold it's own and is light-weight like it claims to be. I recommend all three after having used each for over 4 years.
Good Luck Lele!

Melanie said...

I have an Oreck and it is absolutely my favorite appliance/cleaning tool in my home. It is so light - 8 lbs. so it is so easy to drag out anytime. It has no attachments which some people may not like but it comes with a free canister vac that is also very light. If you are really serious about your vacuum you can spend a little extra and get the model that has two different speeds which makes vacuuming the wood floors so easy (my sister-in-law has this one). I have the cheapest model and I still use it on all floors but the lower speed would probably work a little better. My aunt has the same one I have and has all wood floors. O.k. - sorry for going on. Can you tell I love my vacuum?

LKBeglis said...

GET THE DYSON!!!!

Jim went out one day and came home carrying a Dyson having spent hundreds of dollars on it. I promptly asked him to turn around and return it but he was like "I'm tired of vacuums that don't work, we need to spend the money on a good one." I'm very happy that we didn't take it back. And now I want the one that has the "ball" design in the commercials.

Mary Dausch said...

That's so funny - I had the same conversation with James after he went out and spent a ton of money on our Oreck! And, he was right. Doesn't happen too often ;) The Oreck is awesome.

Elena Kilner said...

When my hand me down vac died, about 6 months ago I got a Miele (see pic from the post)--it is stellar. I used to be wary of canister vacs but now I'll never go back--I can vacuum under every piece of furniture in my house--all the way under cribs, etc...it's light and wonderful...if you do go for the Miele though--make sure you get the one that has the right attachments for your floors--there are some less expensive (the Carina) that don't do the trick on anything but hardwoods (I think I got the Aquarious)

Lori McGovern said...

We LOVE our Dyson. Yes it is an investment, but I was in your position a few years ago and our cheap vacuum (also the one I registered for because- like you- I knew nothing of vacuums.) We used to have ALL carpet except in our tiny kitchen so I used it constantly. Now that we have more hardwood I thought I would use it less. NOT SO. It is great on hardwood and the attachments are so easy my 5 yr old and 3 yr old use them all the time. The 1 yr old hasn't been trained yet (just kidding!) It isn't super light so if you are up and down alot it might not be the right fit. My mother-in-law loves her Oreck because it is so light. Good Luck!

South Paw said...

My sister has a Dyson and after 4 kids and 6 yrs(i think she's had it less than that) of frequent use she is not pleased with it. It is very beat up and sucks half-heartedly. She's about to get a new one.

My vacuum is okay and I'm fairly pleased with it but am unsure if it's in it to win it for the long haul. Our Bissell Lift-Off Turbo 12 amp(just checked it)is not space age but it can be an upright and also pull apart for stair use. It's handy small power brush is key for small spaces. The lower level suctions are sort of lame though.

My mom swears by electroluxes and I've heard good things about Miele vacuums(there's a distributor in Vienna,VA).

South Paw said...

I forgot to add that the filter in the back needs to be replaced every 3 months and that is when the suction wanes.

Maria said...

We invested in and LOVE our super-powerful Dirt Devil: Power and Simplicity. It was totally worth the extra $$. It's bagless, which means never having to buy bags and so easy to empty. I love the lifetime HEPA filter and lifetime belt, no replacements necessary! And it works so well. Great on hardwood and carpet and the hose/wand is so easy to use.