Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Goal of the Week - Making Work Convenient #2

Great Car Cleaning tips last week! The Goal of the Week this week, still in the Making Work Convenient category is......Create A Routine...what chore needs to be systemetized for you? What works? What doesn't? I know I am constantly needing to re-evaluate my routines as kids stages change...meal planning and prep, laundry systems, de-cluttering...I basically need to re-evaluate it all right now so give me your tips!

3 comments:

Celina said...

This might be a no-brainer for some, but I do most of the dishwasher loading in our house and by taking a few extra seconds while loading the dishwasher to separate the utensils by type makes the unloading a breeze and the silverware comes out cleaner!
Also, (I think Lourdes gave me this idea) I assign each child a color for their sippy cup at the start of the day (I'd like to make it a permanent color, but we have too many different cups!)so I always can keep track of who's had their milk, who's left their milk out or put their milk away, etc.etc. It does eliminate some of the thinking and a lot of the dirty dishes!

Elena Kilner said...

Brilliant about the utensils--never thought of that but it makes so much sense! I recently started sorting laundry into seperate collapsible crates for each person in the family and it has made a big difference in ease on putting it away--and my husband puts his away now that it is not burried at the bottom of the big crate.

Ellen Connolly said...

I love the utensil idea. Will start doing that. Elena, that is a great way to get a handle on laundry. Everyone here has their own basket... and while it takes up space... it saves time and keeps groups of clothes small instead of one unsurmountable mountain. I love it.

Mail: Once the mail comes into the house I go to the trash can and I sort it out right away. Tearing it in half so i know it has been sorted by me and not Pat. Junk mail goes directly into the trash, bills go into Mike's in box and all others get put in their place...If i know i can't sort the mail right away then I leave it in the mailbox until I can. Unless I have an immediate use for a coupon (within a week I save it.) Otherwise I adios it so as to avoid build up. Mail is NEVER left on any furniture surface... and newspapers are the devil. It doesnt come in the house unless it is going to be read soon and once it is read it is thrown away..right away. This may sound intense, but we never have mail build up.