Thursday, May 29, 2008

Potty Training Revisited


Ok, I am actually going to do this task this summer. It needs to be done. I want it done before the puppy comes this July (yes- call me CRAZY) and before the baby comes this November.

So this June it is.

I need advice: I bought the toilet inserts like 6 months ago to begin getting him used to the idea and we don't like them. They are not a good fit and they slip out if he tries to climb into them alone. Do people have more success with the actual potty chair?


And how long can I expect this process to take. Once I start, I will be diligent. I just have no idea of how much time I need to budget or how to start. What tips can you give me? I don't want to go the pull-up route... I want to dive right in and make it happen. What do I need to know? And what about bed time? HELP!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have had to tackle potty training but from sisters and friends who have I would be surprised if you can avoid pull ups unless you want to be doing a lot of laundry. You can get night time pull ups...alas from what I understand potty training cannot be forced but you have to find the right method that intrigues your child the most and gets them excited. Rewarding them with M&Ms is popular. Also getting the potty chair that makes music he pees in it is also a big hit I hear.

Celina said...

Too much to write - let's talk about it next time we see each other, or give me a call. But ultimately, you can push and encourage all you want - and you should, but unless he's ready, it's not going to happen, unfortunately. Between the time we started the process with Noah (talking, reading, etc) and when he was wearing underwear full-time (except at night) with little to no accidents was a solid four months.