Its been a long long time since my husband and I went out for dinner AND a movie in the same date. I don't think we have done it since the dawning of the Era of Offspring.
Several reasons why I think it has and will be a lost event for a while..well at least while I have a baby in the house:
1. Most movies start in either the 7-7:30pm time slot or the 9:30-10pm time slot. Its hard to get the kids (mainly concerned about baby) down for the sitter and be somewhere on time by the first movie option....and if you do the second, then the movie will get out sooo late for a babysitter like a mom or m-i-l. I always feel so guilty when we come home past 11 knowing that my mom or m-i-l needs to drive themself home at that late hour.
2. If you do dinner AND a movie, then what order do you do it in? And again the timing issues of putting babies down...and being home really late.
3. Cost. Movie for 2= $20. Dinner for 2= at least $40. Babysitting (if you can't book a relative)for at least 4 hours (3 hour movie, 1 hour at least dinner, and wiggle room) = $40.
That right there is an estimated $100!
So I guess... the dinner AND a movie is saved for special special occasions... So then all you have to hope for is that the special occasion coincides when there are good things in the theater. So, don't plan on a quality movie between January and May.
So, here is a questi0n. If you have to choose between going out to dinner OR to a movie, all things being equal- nice restaurant and a good movie, which would you choose to do?
Dinner
or
a Movie?
Several reasons why I think it has and will be a lost event for a while..well at least while I have a baby in the house:
1. Most movies start in either the 7-7:30pm time slot or the 9:30-10pm time slot. Its hard to get the kids (mainly concerned about baby) down for the sitter and be somewhere on time by the first movie option....and if you do the second, then the movie will get out sooo late for a babysitter like a mom or m-i-l. I always feel so guilty when we come home past 11 knowing that my mom or m-i-l needs to drive themself home at that late hour.
2. If you do dinner AND a movie, then what order do you do it in? And again the timing issues of putting babies down...and being home really late.
3. Cost. Movie for 2= $20. Dinner for 2= at least $40. Babysitting (if you can't book a relative)for at least 4 hours (3 hour movie, 1 hour at least dinner, and wiggle room) = $40.
That right there is an estimated $100!
So I guess... the dinner AND a movie is saved for special special occasions... So then all you have to hope for is that the special occasion coincides when there are good things in the theater. So, don't plan on a quality movie between January and May.
So, here is a questi0n. If you have to choose between going out to dinner OR to a movie, all things being equal- nice restaurant and a good movie, which would you choose to do?
Dinner
or
a Movie?
2 comments:
That tough. The good little wife in me feels like I should always pick dinner so my hubby and I can have an adult conversation and reconnect with out the kids. But then the other part of me really would love a night out at the movies to just sit, be quite, laugh, and relax while holding hands with hubby.
that's tough. if there is a REALLY good action movie that would be just plain awesome to see on a huge screen, than definitely movie. otherwise, dinner...I'm picking.
I don't remember the last time we did both either! It must have been when I was pregnant with Matthew! I vote dinner and then renting a movie. That way, you're saving at least $15 on the movies and you can get your babysitter (or mom or MIL) home much earlier. Not so glamorous, but doing half the date at home can keep you from the total loss of dinner and a movie!
Post a Comment