Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vegetarian Recipes for Lent

Hi All,

Lori had a great idea to have a vegetarian recipe posted each week to help give us ideas for the Fridays in Lent. Please email me ellenconnolly@gmail.com your favorite vegetarian recipes and I will post a new one each week by Tuesday so you can plan it for the coming Friday... or for whenever!
Lori is kicking off the first one:
Here is a simple recipe that I made up to suit my husbands very simple tastes.
Lori McGovern's Salmon Cakes
1 can canned salmon
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (I have in a pinch used cornmeal or oatmeal and they work fine)
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and form patties
Dip in additional bread crumbs
Saute in hot olive oil until brown and crispy on both sides and middle is warm through (about 4 minutes on each side)
These can be made ahead and frozen. Easily doubled and adapted to taste. For those who like a little adventure, you can dice up peppers and onions and add them to the mixture.
We love these.
Great idea, Lori!
Please send me your fave recipes!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I tried this last night and it was a hit! I even froze some for later. Thanks Lori!